Orleans County Dept. of History
34 East Park St.
Albion, NY 14411
Hours:Mon. & Weds. 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Or by appointment
The County Historian collects and preserves material pertaining to the county’s history. The Historian also provides information and services to the public and to historical organizations.
While we are not sufficiently staffed to conduct extensive research, we will try to answer specific questions from the records and material available in our office.
The following links may be of particular interest:
- Census and cemetery listings
- Local newspapers to 1982
- Full text of Landmarks of Orleans County by Isaac Signor, 1894
The following Orleans County Town and Village Historians also provide assistance with specific history requests:
ALBION, Town of
BARRE, Town of
CARLTON, Town of:
CLARENDON, Town of
GAINES, Town of
HOLLEY, Village of – See MURRAY, Town of
KENDALL, Town of
LYNDONVILLE, Village of:
MEDINA, Village of
MURRAY, Town of and HOLLEY, Village of
RIDGEWAY, Town of:
SHELBY, Town of
YATES, Town of
PAST ORLEANS COUNTY HISTORIANS
- Katherine Rowley: 1934-1938
- Theta Hakes Brown: 1938-1944
- Joseph B. Achilles: 1944-1957
- Cary Harling Lattin: 1958-1974
- Arden McAllister: 1975-1978
- Cary Wilson “Bill” Lattin: 1979-2014
Matthew R. Ballard : 2015-2021