United States Passport Fees

Attention: Processing Times for U.S. Passports (

Beginning June 2009, it became necessary for a United States citizen to present a valid US Passport Book, US Passport Card or other travel documents approved by the Department of Homeland Security when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports of entry.

To apply for a US Passport, come to the Orleans County Clerk’s Office. We have the applications. In addition, you will need:

  • Original Birth Certificate or a certified copy of your birth certificate with a RAISED SEAL.  Hospital certificates or birth notices are not acceptable. The file date on the birth certificate MUST be within one year of birth and must have your name correctly spelled. For children under 14 years of age, the birth certificate must show evidence of parental relationship.  All birth certificates are required to list both mother and father.  Original Birth Certificates are mailed and will be returned separately from the issued passport.
  • Naturalization papers. These may not be copies and the ORIGINAL papers are sent with application by certified mail.  These too will be returned separately from the issued passport. 
One 2×2 passport photos taken within the last six months.   Photos can be obtained at the Orleans County Clerk's Office while you are completing your application for a fee of $10.00

Check or money order made payable to “US DEPARTMENT OF STATE” for the following amounts:

$ 130.00—-16 years and over and the passport is valid for 10 years
$ 100.00—-15 years and under and the passport is valid for 5 year

  • Cash or a separate check made payable to “ORLEANS COUNTY CLERK” in the amount of $35.00 per passport.
  • Identification (Driver’s License or work pass with photo and signature. **Police Id’s are not acceptable.)
  •  Children Under 16 must have both parents present or documentation as to why this is not possible. 
  • Applicants Age 16 and 17 must apply in person.  Passports for applicants 16 and older are valid for 10 years.
  • All children must appear in person.
  • Previous marriage information is also required if applicable. Information on the application is for the most recent marriage. If married more than once, please call the office for additional instructions.

US Passport Card

You also have the option of applying for a US Passport Card. The card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at US land and seaports of entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region and Bermuda. The card is not valid for international travel by air.

To apply for a US Passport Card, you will need to provide the same documentation as you would when applying for a passport book as listed above.

The fees for the Passport Card are as follows:

  • $30.00—-16 years and over and the card is valid for 10 years
  • $15.00—-15 years and under and the card is valid for 5 years

Check or money order made payable to “US DEPARTMENT OF STATE” for the above fees.

Cash or separate check made payable to “ORLEANS COUNTY CLERK” in the amount of $35.00 per passport application for processing fee.




Customers will receive their passports within the processing times posted. Those wishing to receive passports sooner may request expedited service and provide the fees for this service and for overnight mail envelopes which enables individuals to receive their passports sooner.

Upon receiving a passport, please check all information on it for correctness. If you discover an error, contact the issuing passport agency for instructions on how to start the amendment process.

When travelling, it is recommended that you keep a copy of your passport in each piece of luggage as well as at home in a safe place and carry a copy on your person in a location other than where you are carrying the actual passport.  Having a photo on your secure cell phone could also be helpful.

Once we mail the passport from our office we do not see the application again.

Please make a note of the following facts regarding your passport and keep the information in a secure location:
  • issue date
  • passport number
  • passport issuing office.
  • **Should your passport be lost or stolen, these facts are important in making a report.

Please keep your passport even if it has expired. You may use it as proof of birth and also for renewal in some cases.

A passport is not a visa. If your travel agent states that a visa is required, the passport must be applied for first, and then the agent can assist you with visa application. We have a list of those countries that require visas. (We do not handle visas.)


For information, questions, and inquiries contact the National Passport Information Center toll-free at 1-877-487-2778 or by e-mail at

Follow this link to obtain more information concerning International Travel.